For centuries, the Mediterranean countries of Greece, Italy, Croatia, Morocco and others have exercised eating habits that are heart healthy, rich in nutrients and anti-oxidants, and include delicious seasonal fruits, vegetables, and nuts. Now you can capitalize on their findings and enjoy the healthy benefits of a Mediterranean diet of freshly made foods that are not processed or high in sugars. Making healthy eating as well as regular exercise a part of your daily habit can improve your overall health.
How does it work?
- Reduces consumption of red meat and dairy
- Increases intake of fresh fruits and veggies, especially those in season
- Suggests weekly portions of fish and poultry
- Includes olive oil, olives, nuts, and beans that make you digest food more slowly
- Whole grains and breads help to make you feel fuller longer
- Spices add to the richness of the food, providing a substitute for salt or sugar additives
- Nuts, olives and olive oil lower bad cholesterol and fight inflammation
- Fruits and vegetables keep arteries clear
- Anti-oxidant rich foods fight diseases
- Whole grains and beans are brain-friendly choices
- Fish lowers triglycerides and blood pressure
- Less sugar helps to fight diabetes and weight gain
- Monounsaturated fatty acids lower cholesterol
What foods can I eat?
- Nuts, sesame seeds, walnuts, almonds, cashews
- Okra, cucumbers, eggplant, tomatoes, arugula, kale, broccoli, zucchini, roasted peppers, sweet potatoes
- Olive oil and olives (see Becki’s olive salsas for a great snack idea or her Favorite Olive Salsa Burger for a great lunch menu)
- Salmon, tuna, shrimp, mussels (see Becki’s Halibut with Black Bean Salsa for a delicious meal idea)
- Chickpeas or hummus, lentils
- Fruits like pomegranates, blueberries, strawberries
- Whole grain pita bread, farro, quinoa, flaxseed, chia seeds
- Cheese (feta, brie) and Greek yogurt
- Herbs like cilantro, coriander, rosemary, garlic, pepper, bay leaves, cinnamon
More Ways to Eat Mediterranean
- Add two tablespoons of our Original or Jalapeño Mediterranean Olive Salsa to a can of chicken or tuna or to your favorite pasta primavera salad.
- Use our Mediterranean Olive Salsas as condiments to add even more flavor to bratwurst, hamburgers, and chicken.
- Use our Mediterranean Olive Salsa cream cheese flavors to top your baked potatoes and hot steaks right off the grill, or to stuff baby peppers and spread on your bagel.